Back-to-School Safety Tips for Children Traveling To and From School
Crosswalk Safety Tips
It is also important that children know crosswalk safety, especially if they must cross streets at some point when traveling to and from school. In Georgia drivers must stop and stay stopped, for pedestrians in crosswalks. Vehicles must stop when pedestrians are anywhere on their side of the road, or if they are approaching within one lane of the driver’s side of the road.
Please keep these in mind when it comes to using the crosswalk:
- Streets are shared by pedestrians, bicyclists, public transit, and private cars. It is necessary to respect everyone’s right to use the streets (in the proper manner) to ensure safety.
- Look both ways before crossing a street, and look for cars approaching intersections to turn.
- Be sure to understand the meaning of different traffic lights and crossing signals.
- Make sure that vehicles have stopped (and remain stopped) before you step onto the crosswalk.
- Even if a vehicle is stopped at a crosswalk, see if there are other vehicles approaching first before you take a step.