Atlanta Car Accident Lawyers
Stokes & Kopitsky, P.A. has distinguished itself as a leading Atlanta auto accident law firm, helping recover millions of dollars in compensation for victims and their families who’ve suffered loss or injury as a result of an automobile accident. Read our client testimonials and real case results.
We can help you with the following types of cases:
- DUI AccidentsAccording to the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, there were 277 fatal accidents that were alcohol related in one year. A number of accidents are also caused by other drugs and vapor releasing substances. All of these fall under the term Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) – and are a criminal act that is punishable by law. If you’ve been injured by a driver who was drunk or intoxicated, we will fight for you so you can concentrate on your recovery and healing. Get the justice and compensation you deserve – for you or for a loved one who may have been the unfortunate victim of another’s reckless behavior.
- Pedestrian AccidentsIn recent years, there has been a spike in fatal accidents involving pedestrians. Many pedestrian accidents occur in the metro Atlanta area where traffic and insufficient sidewalks along several busy thoroughfares have made commuting by foot more dangerous. Becoming the victim of an accident as a pedestrian can be physically and emotionally traumatizing. We can help you get a settlement that will cover your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. In the event you have lost a loved one, we can also help you get compensated for the emotional pain and suffering you have endured.
- Roll Over AccidentsA rollover accident is when a vehicle flips over onto its roof. This type of accident tends to cause more serious injury that can lead to a lifetime of disability or even death. A rollover can be the result of several factors, such as poor road conditions, vehicle malfunctions, unsafe vehicle design, and driver error. Because there are so many reasons that may cause a rollover, it is important to work with a lawyer who can help prove the cause and determine liability. We have a strong track record of helping clients obtain favorable settlements in these types of cases based on our extensive experience dealing with rollover accidents.
- Single Car AccidentsA single car accident is when only one vehicle is damaged in an accident. What’s more, although less common, an accident is also categorized as a “single car accident” if it involved another vehicle but only one vehicle sustained damages. Forces of nature, driver error, poor weather conditions, and several other factors can be causes. With decades of experience helping clients win millions of dollars in compensation, our lawyers can help you determine whether your accident was the result of someone else’s negligence so you can get compensated for your injuries.
- Products LiabilityDid you know that if you were injured by a product, even if you followed the manufacturer’s instructions on usage, you may still be compensated for your injuries? Defective products have repeatedly injured and even killed people across the country. You can file a product liability claim against the designer, manufacturer, distributer or supplier — and the doctrine of strict liability allows you to get compensation without proving negligence, but you only have a limited time after the incident that you can file your case.
- Crosswalk AccidentsOne of the most common places where an accident can happen is at a crosswalk. Pedestrians and cyclists are at the highest risk of getting injured or killed at crosswalks because they aren’t as protected when they get hit by a motorized vehicle. The State of Georgia has tried to reduce the number of crosswalk accidents by installing pedestrian-activated red stoplights and other highly visible traffic signage, but these types of incidents still occur all too frequently and are often very serious when they do. If you or a loved one was injured in a crosswalk accident, don’t let medical bills, missed wages, and other losses become another problem to worry about. Let us help you get the compensation you deserve.
- Bicycle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accident
- Truck Accident
The law is on your side
Under Georgia law, automobile accidents are governed by general principles of negligence. Liability is premised upon an individual’s duty to safely operate a motor vehicle. The driver, for example, has a duty to exercise reasonable care in operating his/her automobile. Likewise, employers and parents have a similar duty to ensure that the employees or children to whom they entrusted the vehicle are not reckless drivers. Therefore, a victim injured in an auto accident may have a claim not only against the driver, but also against the owner of an at-fault vehicle.
If the victim died in the accident, his or her family members may have a claim for wrongful death against both parties. The fault assigned to owners by proxy is known as “vicarious liability” and may result in damages arising from the owner’s negligent entrustment of the vehicle.
Other factors that can be to blame
While the duty of drivers and car owners are the most evident, other factors may contribute to the accident, giving rise to separate claims of liability. Some examples include:
Drunk Driving Accidents and Dram Shop Laws (O.C.G.A. 51-1-40): Georgia’s “Dram Shop” laws are one example, holding business owners liable for serving alcohol to minors or clearly intoxicated adults. As the victim of a drunk driving accident, you can file a claim against the establishment that served alcohol to the driver at fault. However, you’ll need the expertise of an auto accident lawyer to prove that alcohol was served to the driver despite showing signs of intoxication and with full knowledge that they would be driving shortly after drinking. This involves a thorough examination of the facts as well as witness and expert testimony. Our experienced legal team can help you do this.
Unsafe Road Construction and Maintenance: Dangerous roadways, as well as unsafe road conditions, can lead to serious car accidents. As the victim you may have a claim against contractors for negligently constructing a road leading to hazardous driving conditions; against the government entity that failed to safely maintain the road; and even against the police department that endangered motorists by unsafely diverting traffic or driving recklessly in a high-speed chase. Some examples of hazards caused by inadequate road construction and maintenance include potholes, pooling water, improper signage, broken traffic lights, and insufficient lighting. Unfortunately, all too often the driver is blamed instead. If you suspect your accident was caused by unsafe road construction and maintenance, call us to discuss your case and find out what it may be worth.
Defective Parts and Failure to Recall: You can bring a product liability claim against car manufacturers for producing defective parts or for failing to recall vehicles they had reason to believe were unsafe. When it comes to defective vehicles, the manufacturer can be held legally responsible. In addition, they can be responsible for any parts of the vehicle that become defective at the time of manufacture, while being shipped, or during installation, as well as if the vehicle has an unsafe design. To prove that your car was defective, we can help compile the necessary evidence. We also work closely with automobile professionals who can pinpoint the defective parts to determine who should be held liable.
Drivers negligently operate motor vehicles for a variety of reasons. They may be tired, distracted, angry, aggressive, or impaired.
The Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA) sets forth uniform “road rules” providing civil and criminal liability claims against reckless drivers. As a victim of an automobile accident, you have legal recourse to damages resulting from another motorist’s negligence, and these can include severe criminal penalties for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Because there may be multiple people at fault for an accident and liability can range from negligence to vehicular manslaughter, it’s important to have a knowledgeable attorney to help you evaluate potential causes of action and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Founding members Greg Stokes and Neil Kopitsky have over 30 years of experience assisting automobile accident victims. We are dedicated to lessening the traumatic impact of your unfortunate situation by providing you with caring, compassionate representation. We have recovered over $100 million dollars in verdicts and settlements and continue to fight for our clients so they receive the compensation they deserve.
What you should do
If you or your loved one has become the victim of a car accident, this is what you should do:
Get medical attention immediately. Even if you don’t feel that you are injured, it’s always best to see a doctor just to make sure. There have been many instances where victims didn’t seek medical attention for their injuries at the time of their accident, mistakenly believing they were fine. Unfortunately, they began to feel pain several hours, or even days, later, making it more difficult to prove that the pain was a direct result of their accident. That’s why it’s important you see a doctor as soon as you can.
Call the police to file a report, even if the accident was minor. This creates an official account of your situation.
Once you are physically able to do so and the police have assisted you, call us at 404-892-0011 wherever you may be. You can see us at our office if you are able. Alternately, we’ll come to you if you’re unable to due to your injuries, whether you’re at home or at the hospital. We’ll evaluate your case for free to determine what can be done to get the compensation you deserve. Plus, we never charge attorney’s fees unless we win your case.
Top 6 reasons to choose Stokes & Kopitsky, P.A. if you’ve been hurt in an auto accident
We’re so confident you’ll win that you won’t have to pay us until you do. We won’t accept any money from you until you get your settlement — and even then, we only get paid from the money you receive in your settlement. That means you won’t have to pay anything out of your own pocket.
We have helped our clients win over $100 million in verdicts and settlements over the decades we’ve been practicing as a personal injury law firm. With us on your side, our experience and track record will ensure that you get the representation you deserve.
We have extensive experience dealing with a variety of auto accident and personal injury cases, so we understand the intricacies and complexities they involve, including dealing with insurance. Plus, we have a network of expert medical professionals that can also help.
We know accidents can happen at any time, so we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year round. You can call us at any time and get immediate help!
When you choose us to represent you, you’re not getting just one lawyer. You’ll be getting our whole team. Our experienced staff will work with you personally and fight for you like you are family.