Things Potential Clients Should Not Do
When you’re the victim of an injury accident, you don’t want to do anything to make your case worse. Here are five things you should always avoid:
1. Don’t blame yourself for being in an accident. Blaming yourself can look to others like an admission that you caused or contributed to the accident, with the result that an insurance company may refuse to pay for your injuries and other expenses.
2. Don’t skip seeing a doctor. Go to an emergency room right away. It’s important for a doctor to list in a hospital record what injuries you have at that time. Otherwise, an insurance company may claim that your injuries were not caused by the accident, and refuse to pay you anything for them, leaving you stuck with doctor bills, lost pay, and other expenses..
3. NEVER give a recorded statement to any insurance company. You’re not required to give a statement, but if you do, insurers can and will use anything you say against you. They are not asking for a recorded statement to be nice. They are hoping you will say something that will hurt your claim.
4. NEVER sign a release of your rights to make claims for future injuries without showing it to an experienced injury attorney. A minor thing like a headache can turn out to signal serious medical problems, such as a brain injury. An attorney can usually get the insurance company to pay for your car repairs, doctor bills, and many other expenses while your case is pending, and you will not have to give up your rights to be paid for the full value of your injury.
5. Don’t sign any checks unless an attorney looks at them first. Even a check for car repairs can contain a release saying you give up all rights to be paid for your injuries, even ones that turn out to be worse than you thought. If you have signed a check like this, though, always get a skilled, experienced injury attorney, who may be able to persuade a judge to disregard your signature and let you go ahead with an injury lawsuit.
Stokes & Kopitsky have the experience and knowledge needed to handle the most complicated accidental injury cases. Please call us, 24/7, for your free consultation. You do not need any money or insurance to hire us. We do not charge any fee unless and until we obtain an award or settlement for you, and we advance all costs.
We are here to help you. Please call us at 404-892-0011.
for experienced, caring, top-quality legal help.