Six Favorite Defenses Adjusters Use to Defeat Your Claim
Insurance adjusters use lots of excuses to avoid paying claims. Jurors pay attention to some of these, but not others. It’s important to know the difference:
1. “You could have avoided the accident.” Never accept this at face value; if the other person was negligent, it was not your responsibility to try desperately to avoid them.
2. “There were no complaints of injury at the time of the accident” on the police report. Police usually only record injuries if people needed an ambulance, so don’t worry about this.
3. There was a delay in treatment. Juries can be persuaded that if you waited to get treatment, you weren’t hurt in the accident, but were hurt later, by something else. Never delay in going to an E. R. right after an accident! That helps establish that the accident caused your injuries and can make a big difference in your rights to compensation.
4. “Medical records lack complaints of pain.” Don’t tough out pain – always tell the doctor right away, or juries may think your pain was make-believe, not real.
5. “This is a pre-existing injury.” It does not matter if you had a similar or even the same injury before. An accident can re-activate an earlier injury, or make an existing injury worse, and you may still be entitled to compensation if this happens.
Stokes & Kopitsky are skilled, experienced Atlanta injury attorneys who are here to help you. We know the tricks that insurance companies use to try to avoid paying claims, and we are prepared to prove them wrong and work to get you the compensation you deserve. Your first consultation is free, we advance all court costs, and our fees and costs are paid from the settlement or award we obtain for you. If there is no settlement or award, there are no fees.
Please call us toll-free at 1- 404-892-0011 for highly skilled and experienced legal help by a legal team who cares about injury victims and will work hard to get you the best result possible.